Friday, February 20, 2015

"As life was five" poem commentary

Jimmy Santiago Baca, an author who in everyone's eyes he is an amazing poet. Baca has written many inspiring quotes, but as we read them we realize there is something wrong in him, his writing is sad almost depressing as he writes about his childhood, his family, and his life in jail.

As I read his poem "As life was five" I start thinking about my own family my own troubles and my own childhood, growing up in a family that didn't always have everything they needed. 

In this poem Baca is speaking of his grandfather, how embarrassed he was by the man that wouldn't give him a loan for his land. He speaks of his grandfathers feeling how he couldn't bare Baca seeing him be embarrassed as he was speaking to the man at the store, as the man was being cruel because he didn't speak english. Baca "insulting my grandpa because he couldnt speak, english", is astonishing how baca remembers so much from his childhood when so many events have occurred since then.

Photo by: tim brownson

No comments:

Post a Comment